The family of a boy who dies from brain-eating amoeba is suing the city of Arlington, Texas city for the failure to treat a splash pad properly.
The family said that their three-year-old died from a rare brain-eating amoeba he got after visiting a splash pad.
The Don Misenhimer Park splash pad was the favorite spot where Bakari Williams,3, and his family enjoy their leisure. But the day after an early September visit, the 3-year-old fell ill.
He was diagnosed with an infection caused by the rare Naegleria fowleri amoeba and died on Sept. 11.
The Boy’s Parent Comment
Kayla Mitchell, the boy’s mother said, “All he wanted to do was lay down, so I automatically knew there was something wrong right there and then.”
Tariq Williams, the boy’s father mentioned, “Bakari was a loving, energetic, passionate, sweet, beautiful, innocent boy. He didn’t deserve to die in this manner.”
The family’s attorneys said Bakari’s death was caused by the city of Arlington’s negligence.
Stephen Stewart, the family’s attorney protested that the city did not properly treat or test the water daily.
Stewart said, “That’s simply unacceptable. If a splash pad amusement is left untested, if the water is left untreated, bad things happen.”
Meanwhile, the city officials have inaugurated a daily inspection program and have closed all of their splash pads for the remainder of the year, but attorneys said that’s not enough.
This was the family’s second catastrophe, having lost a child to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in 2019.
Their lawsuit asks for more than $1 million, but Bakari’s family said it’s about public awareness more than anything.
“The last thing that we want is for anyone else and their family to have to feel and go through what we’re going through at this time,” Williams added.