Authorities are investigating after a shooting incident early Tuesday morning in Interstate 264 left a pregnant woman critically injured.
According to Shively Police Department, the incident occurred at about 2:14 a.m. Tuesday on the eastbound lanes of the Watterson Expressway near Cane Run Road. Officials say a pregnant teen and a male were in a vehicle when a second vehicle drove up to them and opened fire at the driver of her vehicle.
Louisville Metro Police responded and are investigating the incident. It is not immediately known if the driver of the vehicle was hurt in the incident. Authorities are urging anyone with information is asked to call the Shively Police Department at 502-448-6181 or the Shively Police tip line at 502-930-2SPD.
A total of five shooting has consecutively taken place on the Jefferson County interstates this year.
- On 24th September, on the Watterson Expressway at Taylor Boulevard, 26-year-old Terry Smith Jr. was shot and killed.
- On 9th July a man was shot on I-64 near Blankenbaker Parkway.
- On 4th June a man was found shot on the ramp from I-264 West to I-64 West.
- On 26th May a 14-year-old boy was shot while he was driving on Interstate 265 near New Cut Road.
- In January, a male driver was shot on the Watterson Expressway near Breckenridge Lane.
“Anything could happen,”I mean, that gunfire could go stray and hit someone else. But typically, we see these late at night. There’s no other vehicles around. That’s pretty much the M.O. with these.”Police assure drivers you should feel safe when you’re out on the road.
“Honestly, I believe it is safe for travel, “As I said, we believe the majority of these have been targeted. This morning, I believe probably the reason it happened on the expressway is that there wasn’t a lot of traffic around. So for the everyday traveler, I would say it is safe. Just always be aware of your surroundings.”
Shively Police Sergeant Patrick Allen says during a press release.